Göteborg city lights

2010/11/26
I live for the nights. I have written it before, but it doesn't harm to mention it once again, the story of my philosophies around photographing.

First of all, I have to state that I am not at technical photographer. I am very artsy, I can see what will end up as a good picture but, unfortunately, I do not tend to spend so much time reading the camera's manual or all the useful tutorials which very nice people publish online. However, sometimes I can surprise myself. So, today I did my first HDR image. For those who doesn't know, HDR stands for High Dynamic Range, and simple explanation of this definition is that you combine a set of photos of the same motive so you can add nice depth into your image that your camera otherwise wouldn't allow you to create. The dark parts gets, instead of a solid black color, some depth in form of shadows, and the highlights tend to be more vibrate and colorful. The picture below is 21 photos in seven different angles merged together into one photograph. I have used my tripod to stabilize the exposures, and a lot of post processing in Photoshop, Photomatrix Pro and Lightroom. So, enjoy, my first HDR!

(the artsy part of me does not like this image.. there's something about the artificial lights and colors that does not attract my mind, but I hope that some of you like it)

Göteborg City Lights

Göteborg by night. Photo taken at Ramberget (Keiler's park). Full view please!

So, there we are. I am the artsy photographer. Earlier I have explained that there are basically two different types of photographers. The ones which are painting with lights, and the ones (like me) who are starting with the shadows. It is a different point of view, I like my photos dark with much contrast. But I guess that the photographers which tend to paint with the lights are way more correct since the word "photograph" comes from the Greek words φῶς (phos) "light" and γραφή (graphê) "drawing", which ends up to "drawing with light". So I couldn't be more wrong, with my "drawing with the shadows"-theory.

After the panorama shoot over Göteborg I tried a different point of view, instead of HDR-photos I went back to my beloved long shutter time-shots. With a car (!?) as a camera flash I took this picture of Röda Sten (Red Stone), under Älvsborgsbron. Yes, some post processing was involved, but the car, a Volvo V50 with the headlights on max, solved the problem with the lack of lights at Röda Sten. This picture I like way more better.


Röda sten
Röda Sten november 2010

I regret telling you that I never paint with light, since it is exactly what I did at the next picture. Long shutter time this time as well, with me standing with a flash light in my hand in a completely dark room to lighten the motive (M) up. And then some fun with Photoshop..

The trait of staying aware (through Leonard Cohen)
The trait of staying aware (through Leonard Cohen)


Listen to: Leonard Cohen – Hey, That's No Way To Say Goodbye

I'm not looking for another as I wander in my time,
walk me to the corner, our steps will always rhyme
you know my love goes with you as your love stays with me,
it's just the way it changes, like the shoreline and the sea,
but let's not talk of love or chains and things we can't untie,
your eyes are soft with sorrow,

Hey, that's no way to say goodbye.

2 kommentarer:

Unknown sa...

Jag har letat efter någonstans att ta en liknande panoramabild över Warszawa, men bristen på berg gör det rätt svårt... Hela jäkla stan är ju platt.

Håller med om att den andra bilden är klart bättre en den första. I HDRen behöver du dra ner satruration ganska mycket, annars ser det väl skrikigt ut.

Faugel sa...

Jag känner igen det där från Kristianstad och de skånska slätterna, lyckligtvis är det ju trevligare att cykla omkring på de skånska slätterna än i Göteborg där varje resa är en uppförsbacke...
Jo, jag maxade upp såväl saturationen och fyllnadslystnaden ganska mycket, mest för att göra det övertydligt att det var en HDR-bild.. Jag försökte också göra en HDR när vi var på hockeyn i helgen, men isen hade en tendens att bli fruktansvärt grådaskig i HDR-versionen.

Skicka en kommentar